Information for new board members

Committee Meeting 2019-09-19 (2019-09-20 in Australia)

The meeting will take place at 20:00 UTC in the IRC channel #board-meeting on the CAcert IRC network.

Feel free to add a business item within the acceptance period of 48 hours or your question to the board below. Non-committee Members: Committee may choose to convert any business proposed as a question in the questions section.


  1. Minutes author prepares the minutes from the 5th September

  2. Minutes author puts motion m2019MMDD.1 to accept the minutes from the last meeting.


  1. Preliminaries
    1. Chair opens the Committee Meeting
    2. Who is making minutes?
    3. Is there a timelimit? Who is time keeper?
    4. Accept the minutes from the 5th of September

    5. Chair asks whether cacert-board-private or cacert-board maillist includes any items that need to be disclosed to Members.

      1. Are there important tasks to discuss today?
    6. Chair points actions from last meeting to the meeting, and asks for discussion.

    Acceptance of Businesses 48 Hours before beginning of Committee Meeting latest!

  2. Business
    1. Association
      1. New Members
        • Function Office, United Kingdom, represented by Steven M and Andrew M
        • Hans-Peter W, Germany
        • Sascha T, Germany, (seconded by Ted)
        • Dominik W, Switzerland
      2. SGM/AGM 2019 (Decision by circular letter in 3-4 days)
      3. Board 2019/20
        1. resignations
          • Peter M, Frederic G
        2. candidates
    2. Community
      1. Information to the community about volunteers and funds "big mail" (update by Etienne R, critical)

        • The mail has been sent by Wytze on Friday/Saturday, 6/7-9-2019.
        • Statistics: ca. 30 000 bounce mails, 300 donations, 174 propositions for help, many suggestions, 3 demands for account deletion, other answers.
        • A brief re-cap of the mailing that took place, and its results. (Brian)
      2. Corporate donors
        • We have had a potential donor, who is offering to make a monthly donation, from his company, and asks that he be credited on our website home page.
        • Related links: (see on the bottom); from 2011

      3. The aim is to also have evangelists for these accounts and Facebook who diligently spread the good news of CAcert in the social media. However, it is important that we always keep access to avoid time-consuming retrieval actions in the future. This is not urgent, but should be kept in mind.
    3. Grants: open and new inquiries (updates by Brian M, Frederic D, Etienne R)

      1. Linux Australia - Submitting a grant application added by Frederic D

        • Context of the issue:

        • Possible solution to the issue: Strategic plan to be completed by Brian and Peter M. I may give a hand as well.

        • Expected outcome of the meeting: receive the commitment of one or more persons who designate themselves as responsible for writing and submitting the grant application to Linux Australia.

      2. open and new inquiries we have now for month 46 ideas++. Each of us has to take one per month to apply, as having the ideas only in the wiki will never bring some funds. (updates from Brian M, Frederic D, Frederic G, Etienne R, Peter N, Peter M, Ross K)

    4. Formal documented plan for our future (needed by both CAcert and people giving us money) (update by Brian M, Peter M)

    5. Personnel/volunteers
      1. critical team (main topic)

        1. new members (see archive and archive [board members only])

        2. time schedule (see archive [board members only])

        3. background check
      2. Arbitration

    6. Finances

      1. Westpac (update by Peter M, Dirk A)

      2. Membership fees 2018 (and before) (update by Frederic G)

      3. Breakdown of transactions done in September in EUR and AUD on the Paypal account (including newly created automatic payments, added by Frederic D) (update by Frederic G)

      4. International wire transfer - A cost effective solution added by Frederic D

    7. Software
      1. Bug 775 (update by Dirk A)

      2. Bug 1305: New root (update) (update by Bernhard F)

      3. Root Certificate Class 3 (end of life) (update by Brian M)

      4. Bug 1260 (and sub bugs 144x): PHP/Software (update Brian M, Karl-Heinz G, Peter M)

      5. other (new/pressing/...)
    8. Dummy project (update by Alexander B, Frederic D) --> Postponed to October

    Questions from Community Members can be added until beginning of Committee Meeting! As well questions can be asked at "Question Time", without added Question here

  3. Question Time
    1. What went wrong with our Paypal link on the blog? added by Frederic D.
    2. Context of the issue: see archive and archive [board members only]

  4. Closing
    1. Agree on date of the next Committee Meeting (Wed/Thu 20 GMT = 21 FR/CH = 15 NY = Thu/Fri 07 AEST)
    2. Agree on dates for the next meeting
      • 26 Sept 2019 (for critical!)
      • 10 Oct 2019
      • 24 or 31 Oct 2019
      • AGM 22 or 29 Nov 2019
    3. Chair closes the Committee Meeting


Logfile from meeting 2019-09-19


Minutes will be written once the meeting is finished, with tasks listed in action items and Actions of this document.

Present: Etienne, Brian, Frédéric D, Peter M, Frédéric G

Apologies: Ross, Peter N




At 20:10 UTC Brian took chair and started the meeting.

Action points of 5-9-2019: Lambert is answering to DRO: he just need to write de decision.


Board accepted two new members. As time is short, other applicants will be discussed in one week time. The regulations do not require that we obtain from membership candidates, personal details. However, we do ask for a "sponsor," who is an existing member. The point is (the discussion started at this point and is not finished yet): how to deal with new people from new areas?

AGM 2019: we hold the 2019 Annual General Meeting on Saturday, 30 November 2019 at 20:00 UTC.

Brian, FD and Etienne will contact possible new board or team members following Brian/FD's list (resp. Treasurer's list for treasurer). As we probabely have more than 7, we will try to get teams again (e.g. finance team).

Corporate partners/sponsors: the secretary will provide the wikipage with the details until next thursday.

The treasurer and the public officer gives some key numbers. Thanks to our generous community members, we have now the possibility to create sustainable income structures. But it has to be done in 2020!

Question Time


We aggreed last meeting on 2019-09-0526-20:00 UTC for the next meeting.

Chair closed the meeting at 00.01 UTC








prepare Agenda and Minutes for the next meeting




Brain/CAcertInc/Committee/MeetingAgendasAndMinutes/2019-09-19 (last edited 2019-10-10 09:56:47 by EtienneRuedin)