Information for new board members

Committee Meeting 2019-09-05 (2019-09-06 in Australia)

The meeting will take place at 20:00 UTC in the IRC channel #board-meeting on the CAcert IRC network.

Feel free to add a business item within the acceptance period of 48 hours or your question to the board below. Non-committee Members: Committee may choose to convert any business proposed as a question in the questions section.


  1. Minutes author prepares the minutes from 29 August

  2. Minutes author puts motion m2019MMDD.1 to accept the minutes from the last meeting.


  1. Preliminaries
    1. Chair opens the Committee Meeting
    2. Who is making minutes?
    3. Is there a timelimit? Who is time keeper?
    4. Accept the minutes from 29 August

    5. Chair asks whether cacert-board-private or cacert-board maillist includes any items that need to be disclosed to Members.

      1. Are there important tasks to discuss today?
    6. Chair points actions from last meeting to the meeting, and asks for discussion.

    Acceptance of Businesses 48 Hours before beginning of Committee Meeting latest!

  2. Business
    1. Association
      1. SGM/AGM 2019 (Decision by circular letter in 3-4 days)
      2. Board 2019/20
        1. resignations
          • Peter M, Frederic G
        2. candidates
    2. Community
      1. Information to the community about volunteers and funds "big mail" (update by Etienne R, critical)

        • Mail will be sent by Wytze in the next hours.
      2. This week we were able to take over the Spanish Twitter account, which had been orphaned for three years.

      3. We also initiated the takeover of the Paris Twitter account, which has been silent for one year. This allows us to use Twitter for specific languages.

      4. Since this week the CAcert_News account has been working again, twittering new blog entries. Working with Twitter was necessary and cumbersome, but at the fourth attempt it was suddenly quick and easy.

      5. The aim is to also have evangelists for these accounts and Facebook who diligently spread the good news of CAcert in the social media. However, it is important that we always keep access to avoid time-consuming retrieval actions in the future. This is not urgent, but should be kept in mind.
    3. Grants: open and new inquiries (updates by Brian M, Frederic D, Etienne R)

      1. Linux Australia - Submitting a grant application added by Frederic D

        • Context of the issue:

        • Possible solution to the issue: Strategic plan to be completed by Brian and Peter M. I may give a hand as well.

        • Expected outcome of the meeting: receive the commitment of one or more persons who designate themselves as responsible for writing and submitting the grant application to Linux Australia.

      2. Open Technology Fund - Submitting a "concept note" - Deadline 2019-08-31 added by Frederic D

      3. RIPE NCC Community Projects Fund - Grant application submitted" - Deadline 2019-09-01 added by Frederic D

      4. open and new inquiries we have now for month 46 ideas++. Each of us has to take one per month to apply, as having the ideas only in the wiki will never bring some funds. (updates from Brian M, Frederic D, Frederic G, Etienne R, Peter N, Peter M, Ross K)

    4. Formal documented plan for our future (needed by both CAcert and people giving us money) (update by Brian M, Peter M)

    5. Personnel/volunteers
      1. critical team (main topic)

        1. new members (see archive and archive [board members only])

        2. time schedule (see archive [board members only])

        3. background check
      2. Arbitration

    6. Finances

      1. Westpac (update by Peter M, Dirk A)

      2. Membership fees 2018 (and before) (update by Frederic G)

      3. The board decides to pay the invoice 2018-2 of €1,324.09 for hosting period June 2018 to November 2018 Invoice paid already. -- Frédéric Dumas 2019-09-05 22:59:53

      4. International wire transfer - A cost effective solution added by Frederic D

    7. Software
      1. Bug 775 (update by Dirk A)

      2. Bug 1305: New root (update) (update by Bernhard F)

      3. Root Certificate Class 3 (end of life) (update by Brian M)

      4. Bug 1260 (and sub bugs 144x): PHP/Software (update Brian M, Karl-Heinz G, Peter M)

      5. other (new/pressing/...)
    8. Dummy project (update by Alexander B, Frederic D) --> Postponed to 26 Sept

    Questions from Community Members can be added until beginning of Committee Meeting! As well questions can be asked at "Question Time", without added Question here

  3. Question Time
    1. ABC for Karl-Heinz G (a20160816.1) added by Frederic D

      • During its meeting on 2018-11-29, the committee has approved to hand over this case to Bernhard F as Case Manager, in place of Eva S. Why Karl-Heinz G has not been ABC'ed since then? What is the underlying legacy problem linked to Eva S (cf. the mention stalled because of Eva's case in Etienne's pread sheet sent on cacert-board-private@lists.c.o on 2019-07-19 ? What are the steps to be completed to unlock the case?

    2. Access to WestPac accounts added by Frederic D

    3. French version of the association's blog - Getting posts translated quicker added by Frederic D

      • Context of the issue:

      • Possible solution to the issue: to give me write access to the association's blog, for me to be able to publish French translations of any new content, as soon as it pops up.

      • Expected outcome of the meeting: adoption of a motion by the Committee members to give write access to Frederic D to the association's blog.

  4. Closing
    1. Agree on date of the next Committee Meeting (Wed/Thu 20 GMT = 21 FR/CH = 15 NY = Thu/Fri 07 AEST)
    2. Agree on dates for the next meeting
      • 26 Sept 2019
      • 10 Oct 2019
      • 24 or 31 Oct 2019
      • AGM 22 or 29 Nov 2019
    3. Chair closes the Committee Meeting


Logfile from meeting 2019-09-05


Minutes will be written once the meeting is finished, with tasks listed in action items and Actions of this document.

Present: Etienne, Brian, Frédéric D, Peter M, Frédéric G

Apologies: Ross, Peter N




At 20:03 UTC Brian took chair and started the meeting. He asks: We have got into the habit of assuming that the secretary will be doing the minutes. He accept to do it again, but it has to be kept in mind, as he wanted to push the relocation to Europe instead of writing the minutes. So if for the whole year he has to write the minutes, this will delay the relocation.

The minutes from 29-08-2019 are accepted.

Everything from the mailing lists has been put already into the today's agenda.

Business Critical Team The Secretary has asked that we not follow the order of the Agenda, but instead start with item 2.5.1 -- Personnel As it could be read in the message from WvdR, critical team neads the names (or at least first names) of the successors within 3 weeks. Frédéric D posted the CV of a first candidate, B...F... . Etienne contactet two people from his own network with no answer until today. It is suggested, that Brian will talk with B...F... and Wytze on a video conference.

We need at least two others. One should be from a place around Ede (NL). It is talked to use the web of trust register. From the 370 000 members, about 6700 are assurers and 10 000 assurer candidates. That looks like a good pool. We hve also 3 groups at Linkedin (one with 576 members), 1 group at Xing, 1 group at Facebook.

As time is short, we should check the candidates before accept them and register at arb for the ABC; probabely the ABC will not be finished until the handover.

Arbitration Andreas Bäß is reactivated. Thomas Bremer and Nick Bebout: waiting for answer. Alexander Prinsier explicitely declined. Someone had the idea to store the three allowed emergency ABCs for super important cases. Andreas B now wants to present a revised ABC and check the people on the waiting list. It is asked, if he needs help on that. The secretary believes that as few people as possible should have an insight into the ABC Guide. And he remembers the separation of powers: arb is judicial, committee is executive, policy group is legislative.

In regards to ABC for Karl-Heinz, the case manager asked the arbitrator to do the ruling. In principle, anyone can ask him. But since we are on the board, he can take that as interference.

Finances Peter M would be happy to pass Westpac access to someone else and end his term on the board. He has already started a project that makes board meetings difficult. There is the [[|mail of Kevin], who stated that we tried to pass access to Dirk in the past. It seams, that it is very (!) difficult to pass Westpac access to someone outside of the Commonwealth of Australia. There is uncertainty about the future of the public officer.

The secretary can serve with an European bank account from March 2020, if Peter can wait that long. Except for all of the places where we have advertised that account. But if we have an IBAN number, Westpac will only be relevant for donations from Australia. It is enough to check once a year what is there. There is the question whether Peter (on paper) remains a public officer and looks into the account once a year in this function. Otherwise no task for him.

Statement from Frédéric G: He is not resigning within one month time, but as soon as he finds a successor.

Question Time Karl-Heinz's ABC: board as DRO ask the arbitrator in charge of the ABC over Karl Heinz G. about the progress of the case and what's missing to close the case. The secretary shall do it.


We aggreed on 2019-09-19-20:00 UTC for the next meeting.

Chair closed the meeting at 00:49 UTC








prepare Agenda and Minutes for the next meeting



contact the Arbitrator and Case Manager together on case a20160816.1

Brain/CAcertInc/Committee/MeetingAgendasAndMinutes/2019-09-05 (last edited 2019-11-06 23:17:36 by EtienneRuedin)