Information for new board members

Committee Meeting 2019-05-23 (2019-05-24 in Australia)

The meeting will take place at 20:00 UTC in the IRC channel #board-meeting on the CAcert IRC network.

Feel free to add a business item within the acceptance period of 48 hours or your question to the board below. Non-committee Members: Committee may choose to convert any business proposed as a question in the questions section.


  1. Minutes author prepares the minutes from the last meeting

  2. Minutes author prepares the actions from meeting and actions overview. All action owners to update.

  3. Minutes author puts motion m2018MMDD.1 to accept the minutes from the last meeting.


  1. Preliminaries
    1. Chair opens the Committee Meeting
    2. Who is making minutes?
    3. Is there a timelimit? Who is time keeper?
    4. Accept the minutes from the last meeting

    5. Chair asks whether cacert-board-private or cacert-board maillist includes any items that need to be disclosed to Members.

      1. There is a mail from critical team on the board public list.
      2. Are there important tasks to discuss today?
    6. Chair points actions from last meeting to the meeting, and asks for discussion.

    Election pledge: The outgoing committee has initiated various measures to get the finances under control. In addition, it intends to bring CAcert to Europe in 2019 (preparations are underway to do it with no need to change policies). This means that there will be an SGM in the first half of 2019 anyway. Then it could be decided: - relocate and continue - or wind up. By then it should have become apparent whether we have got the finances under control. For possibilities, see:

    Secretary's pledge: "(if) each board member is willing to do about 10% more during this transition period (he has) time to prepare statutes (for Switzerland) and (prepare the) SGM."

    Acceptance of Businesses 48 Hours before beginning of Committee Meeting latest!

  2. Business
    1. Association
      1. President's letter to Inc. members (sent)
    2. Future
      1. Grants: open and new inquiries (BDMC)
        1. Linux Australia (BDMC)
        2. open and new inquiries we have now for month 46 ideas. Each of us has to take one per month to apply, as having the ideas only in the wiki will never bring some funds. (updates from Brian, Frédéric, Frédéric, Etienne, Peter, Peter, Ross)

      2. Formal documented plan for our future (needed by both CAcert and people giving us money) (Brian, Peter M)

      3. Board 2019/20
      4. Personnel/volunteers
        1. SGM/AGM 2019
        2. critical team (main topic)

    3. Finances
      1. Westpac (Kevin, Peter M, Dirk; update)

      2. Membership fees 2018 (and before) (Frédéric G, update)

    4. Software
      1. Bug 1305: New root (update) (update by Ted)

      2. Root Certificate Class 3 (end of life) (update by Brian)

      3. Bug 1260 (and sub bugs 144x): PHP/Software (update Brian, GuKK, Peter M)

      4. other (new/pressing/...)
    5. Dummy project (update by Alex, FD)

    6. Business added by Your Name Comment: Replace "Business One" by Title of Business and add your Name

      • Additional Inputs Comment: Replace "Additional Inputs"by Description of Business, Description of Reason-Why/Purpose, Additional Comments, Additional Documents, Additional Links, if useful for other Committee Members to prepare for Committee Meeting.

    7. et cetera

    Questions from Community Members can be added until beginning of Committee Meeting! As well questions can be asked at "Question Time", without added Question here

  3. Question Time
    1. Question One added by Your Name Comment: Replace "Question One" by Your Question and add your Name

      • et cetera
  4. Closing
    1. Agree on date of the next Committee Meeting (Wed/Thu 20 GMT = 21 FR/CH = 15 NY = Thu/Fri 07 AEST)
    2. Agree on dates for the next meeting
      • 13 June 2019
      • 04 July 2019
    3. Chair closes the Committee Meeting


Logfile from meeting 2019-05-23


Minutes will be written once the meeting is finished, with tasks listed in action items and Actions of this document.

Present: bdmc, Etienne, Treasurer, Peter M

Apologies: Ross

Missing: FD

Guests: GuKKDevel, decay, egal, enyc, nb, nemunaire, Skeeper, ynazarov, zerkalo


At 20:06 UTC bdmc took chair and started the meeting.

The minutes from 09.05.2019 are accepted.


Some board members thanks our president for the news letter he sent to all association members.

Where should the Strategic Plan be discussed? So far we wanted to do this first in board private and later in board public, but the discussions never took place. Peter sent his document to Brian would suspect that some sections would require one or more paragraphs, and others a sentence or two. bdmc is already going into the details in broad outline, while Peter strictly limits himself to the strategic level. The two documents should be merged.

A Marketing Plan should be directed by the Strategic Plan, which covers the overall intention and direction of CAcert. The Marketing Plan, including the secretary's brochures, and other documents are how we implement the plan as described in the Strategy. Strategy is the overall umbrella, other things are under that as we "make it happen." We will do this on a platform in the cloud. The link will be sent by private mail for the moment.

Peter M does not want to be reachable via electronic channels for a long time in the coming year. Therefore, he will not be available as a member of the Management Board. This is generally regretted. On the other hand, he is willing to continue to help with Westpac, strategy and as PO.

Finally, the treasurer sent the New Year's Mail and until now, we get about 400€, that is about half of the outstanding amount. Unfortunately, he translated the text with google translator in german for the people with .de mail addresses. The German speakers could only guess the content briefly. There is a need for a bank account in Europe for people not having paypal. That is one reason for the move to Europe with an IBAN-bank-account.

The Board received a letter from Wytze, reminding us that we have some fairly serious personnel issues, along with everything else that is happening. To add somebody to critical team he needs an ABC ... AND ... if somebody is doing software or support he's blocked against critical (as far as Egal knows). Most jobs can be done remote, but from time to time a visit at BIT datacenter in the Netherlands is necessary ... every visit there has to be documented, so we should be able to trace back the visits in 2018.

We need to find 10 people, whether Inc member or Community member or other, in that part of the Netherlands, who are not otherwise involved in our operations and they have to pass an ABC within the NEXT THREE MONTH. Considering Arbitration is currently as dead as can be, years and more, Ted reminded Lambert about the Karl-Heinz ABC, and got an answer, but no action.

The committee agrees with the point of Whyze's mail. He made a lot of good points. That doesn't mean that we necessarily agree with his conclusion. We have always been optimists. At this moment, we discover on the flor an arbitrator who was no more active an even no more listed, but never resigned and who is willing to step in: Nick Bebout. We are very pleased. Thank you, Nick!

Question Time

Some information:


We aggreed last meeting on 2019-06-13-20:00 UTC for the next meeting.

Chair closed the meeting at 22:10 GMT








prepare Agenda and Minutes for the next meeting

Brain/CAcertInc/Committee/MeetingAgendasAndMinutes/2019-05-23 (last edited 2019-06-13 19:57:45 by EtienneRuedin)