Information for new board members

Committee Meeting 2019-04-25 (2019-04-26 in Australia)

The meeting will take place at 20:00 UTC in the IRC channel #board-meeting on the CAcert IRC network.

Feel free to add a business item within the acceptance period of 48 hours or your question to the board below. Non-committee Members: Committee may choose to convert any business proposed as a question in the questions section.


  1. Minutes author prepares the minutes from 28 February and the minutes from the last meeting

  2. Minutes author prepares the actions from meeting and actions overview. All action owners to update.

  3. Minutes author puts motion m2018MMDD.1 to accept the minutes from the last meeting.


  1. Preliminaries
    1. Chair opens the Committee Meeting
    2. Who is making minutes?
    3. Is there a timelimit? Who is time keeper?
    4. Accept the minutes from the last meeting and the minutes from February 28th. Take note of the Minutes of the informal meeting from April, 11th.

    5. Chair asks whether cacert-board-private or cacert-board maillist includes any items that need to be disclosed to Members.

      1. There is a mail from critical team on the board public list.
    6. Chair points actions from last meeting to the meeting, and asks for discussion.

    Election pledge: The outgoing committee has initiated various measures to get the finances under control. In addition, it intends to bring CAcert to Europe in 2019 (preparations are underway to do it with no need to change policies). This means that there will be an SGM in the first half of 2019 anyway. Then it could be decided: - relocate and continue - or wind up. By then it should have become apparent whether we have got the finances under control. For possibilities, see:

    Secretary's pledge: "(if) each board member is willing to do about 10% more during this transition period (he has) time to prepare statutes (for Switzerland) and (prepare the) SGM."

    Acceptance of Businesses 48 Hours before beginning of Committee Meeting latest!

  2. Business
    1. Association
      1. GDPR Data protection officer
        • nomination in case of the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union, which is scheduled to take place on 29 March 2019 at 11 pm local time, which can still be postponed or cancelled at short notice (as our data protection officer is an English resident). more (board only) (Etienne)

    2. Future
      1. Grants: open and new inquiries (BDMC)
        1. Linux Australia (BDMC)
        2. open and new inquiries we have now for month 46 ideas. Each of us has to take one per month to apply, as having the ideas only in the wiki will never bring some funds. (updates from Brian, Frédéric, Frédéric, Etienne, Peter, Peter, Ross)

      2. Formal documented plan for our future (needed by both CAcert and people giving us money) (Brian, Peter M)

      3. Board 2019/20
      4. Domicile (secretary)

      5. Personnel/volunteers
        1. SGM/AGM 2019
        2. critical team
    3. Finances
      1. Westpac (Kevin, Peter M, Dirk; update)

      2. Membership fees 2018 (and before) (Frédéric G, update)

      3. Mailings to World community, Swiss community, coordination different mailings (secr./treas.) (Etienne, Brian)

    4. Software
      1. Bug 1305: New root (update) (update by Ted)

      2. Root Certificate Class 3 (end of life) (update by Brian)

      3. Bug 1260 (and sub bugs 144x): PHP/Software (update Brian, GuKK, Peter M)

      4. other (new/pressing/...)
    5. Dummy project (update by Alex, FD)

    6. Business added by Your Name Comment: Replace "Business One" by Title of Business and add your Name

      • Additional Inputs Comment: Replace "Additional Inputs"by Description of Business, Description of Reason-Why/Purpose, Additional Comments, Additional Documents, Additional Links, if useful for other Committee Members to prepare for Committee Meeting.

    7. et cetera

    Questions from Community Members can be added until beginning of Committee Meeting! As well questions can be asked at "Question Time", without added Question here

  3. Question Time
    1. Question One added by Your Name Comment: Replace "Question One" by Your Question and add your Name

      • et cetera
  4. Closing
    1. Agree on date of the next Committee Meeting (Wed/Thu 20 GMT = 21 FR/CH = 15 NY = Thu/Fri 07 AEST)
    2. Agree on dates for the next meeting
      • Suggestion for the following meetings (given in UTC, in Australia the follwing morning)

        Daylight Saving Time / Clock change in NY 10.3./EU 31.3./NSW 7.4. that means: one hour earlier for Australia (06:00) and one hour later for Central Europe (22:00) Propositions for a better time frame are welcome.)

      • 02 Mai 2019
      • 23 Mai 2019
      • 13 June 2019
      • 04 July 2019
    3. Chair closes the Committee Meeting


Logfile from meeting 2019-04-25


Minutes will be written once the meeting is finished, with tasks listed in action items and Actions of this document.

Present: FD, Peter, bdmc, pnunn, Etienne

Apologies: Ross, Frédéric G


Guests: Dops, Egal, Ted, Alex


At 20:00 UTC Etienne took chair and started the meeting.

The minutes from 28.02.2019 are accepted. The minutes from 21.03.2019 are accepted. The committee takes note from the minutes of the informatl meeting of 11.04.2019.

Wytze wrote a letter stating some issues which most of the Board should already be aware of. The secretary sent earlier today a mind map to prepare the discussion. Every board member should join well prepared the next meeting. The discussion has allready to start now on board private too. Partly it is also a communication problem, as not all progress are public.

The question is, do we eliminate the toxic problems from the world before we die, respectively until the steps into the future reach. From the community, most are probabely not aware of the issues. The community should have the possibility to react. (c.f. plan of the big mail, waiting for Arbitration) There are probably people out there who are willing and able to help, but don't know about these issues.

We give priority to the collection of membership fees, which would have been useful for us to have begun last year. The treasurer now realy wants to ask for the contriution of the last years. Furthermore, in the big 340K-mail we will ask for donations. Communication is much better this year than before (PR, Blog, Twitter, Newsletter) - even we can still made it better.


GDPR data protection officer: *If* one day the British will leaf the European Union, dops accept to take over Megans task. Thank you very much!

AGM: will be after the financial year ends, before end of 2019, after fees 2017/18 are paid and statutes for Europe are ready. Early November. We need a list of people continue; list of people willing to help.

Peter, Dirk and Kevin needs some 10 more minutes for Westpac access.

Move to Europe sounds nice, but Europe are 49 countries. The secretary proposes Switzerland, as there associations do not need to be (usually they are not) registered. -> easier -> cheaper. If you think, it is important to be registered, we should look somewhere else. For Switzerland, he has a draft for statutes in English (that language is OK) and found a bank with zero account keeping fees for associations. Is it possible to make tax deductible donations to such a association? Start the discussion early for Inc. members.

Bug 1305 was raised to cause the update of our Root and Class 3 certificates for the public. They are no longer accepted by current browsers. This work has, as Ted says, been generally completed.

There is some discussion about an other tool for board meetings. video call has some advantages, we can see, hear, "feel" each other. This is important for team building. On the other hand, IRC writes allways a draft of the minutes (the log file). But on IRC, it takes some times a long time to get much done. Talking is nice for informal meetings, maybe talking with chat in parallel? Frédéric, Dirk and Etienne will do some tests with

Question Time


We aggreed last meeting on 2019-05-09-20:00 UTC for the next meeting.

Chair closed the meeting at 21:xx UTC








prepare Agenda and Minutes for the next meeting