Committee Meeting 2012-01-13

The meeting will take place at 20:00 UTC in the IRC channel #board-meeting on the CAcert IRC network.

Committee Members: feel free to add a business within the acceptance period or your question to the board below. Others: add a question to the questions section.


  1. Minutes author prepares the minutes from the last meeting

  2. Minutes author prepares the action items. All action owners to update.

  3. Minutes author puts motion m20120111.2 to accept the minutes


  1. Preliminaries
    1. Chair opens the Committee Meeting
    2. Accept the minutes from the last meeting.

    3. Who is making minutes?
    4. Chair asks whether cacert-board-private maillist includes any items that need to be disclosed to Members.

    5. Chair introduces the URL of action items to the meeting, and asks for discussion.

  2. Businesses Important Note: Acceptance of Businesses 48 Hours before beginning of Committee Meeting latest!

    1. Permissions Stocktaking:
      1. "It is moved that Board or a representative files an Arbitration to get a list of all accounts who have special permissions set (similar to Arbitrations/a20110118.1)" -- MichaelTänzer 2012-01-11 15:47:53

      2. "It is moved that Board or a representative asks the persons responsible for an up-to-date copy of all access lists as specified in the Security Policy §3.4.2" -- MichaelTänzer 2012-01-11 15:47:53

    2. Community Activity by dirk
      • info to board: events, foundations & associations

    3. Privacy and prior board decisions added late by Iang

      • please read briefing on prior decisions of old boards
      • discussion in private session
    4. Business added by Your Name Comment: Replace "Business One" by Title of Business and add your Name

      • Additional Inputs Comment: Replace "Additional Inputs"by Description of Business, Description of Reason-Why/Purpose, Additional Comments, Additional Documents, Additional Links, if useful for other Committee Members to prepare for Committee Meeting.

    5. et cetera
  3. Question Time Important Note: Questions from Community Members can be added until beginning of Committee Meeting! As well questions can be asked at "Question Time", without added Question here

    1. Question One added by Your Name Comment: Replace "Question One" by Your Question and add your Name

      • et cetera
  4. Closing
    1. Confirm the next Committee Meeting: Usually every 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month 21:00 UTC.

    2. Chair closes the Committee Meeting


1 Preliminaries

Present: Dirk, Ian, Kevin, Michael, Piers, Tomas, Werner

1.1 Open

Meeting chaired by Dirk.

1.2 Minutes from last meeting

Accepted by motion m20120111.2. Amendment to minutes from 2011-12-18 accepted by motion m20120111.1.

1.3 Minutes taker

Tomas to take minutes.

Ian suggested that the motion writer put the URL of the minutes into the motion. General consensus this is a good idea.

1.4 Private communication disclosure

Data protection discussion going on on board-private. Werner suggested not to keep it private anymore and to go for a broader discussion. Ian replied that this has to be decided in private first ("once a discussion starts private, it has to stay private until agreed in private that it becomes public"). Details about the issue to follow in a later meeting.

Michael asked whether anyone publishes the topics we already agreed to disclose. Tomas was also under the impression that if we decide to disclose something, someone has to go and repost the mails from private to cacert-board or something like that. Ian replied that we never had a process for disclosing old discussions. Instead of that, on the beginning of every meeting the Board should present a brief summary of subjects being discussed on the private list.

The disclosure process was briefly discussed about 4 years ago - old board-private discussions were found to be assumed to be totally confidential, so the decision was to keep them that way.

Piers noted that this is related to Rule 23(B) implementation, a Board statement on that topic to be prepared by him and Ulrich.

The disclosure process to be discussed further on the mailing list. Ian recommended one-line subject summary for each topic, Michael would opt for forwarding the mails directly.

Ian commented that overuse of private conversations was one of the reasons the pre-SGM 2009 Board was ejected. The succeeding one found that some of the conversations indeed had to be kept confidential, but agreed to disclose each topic item and fixed up the rules accordingly.

1.5 Late agenda items

Items 2.2 and 2.3 added within last 24 hours. Dirk suggested to accept them and go on, Ian concurred that this usually requires unanimous consent.

Item 2.2 found to be informational only and thus fine to accept, consensus on 2.3 is that it is to be deferred to next board meeting or a separate session, with details to be discussed later. Michael suggested to defer 2.3 until we have more information.

2 Business

2.1 Permissions Stocktaking

Agenda item presented by Michael. Dirk commented that similar SQL queries to the production system were done about a year ago while being on an opensource event. The plan for this time is similar: Do it on FOSDEM since critical admins as well as an Arbitrator and Software Assessor will be there. Software Assessment will propose queries beforehand. If any additional queries are found to be necessary, Dirk will test them on his own system, present to an Arbitrator and if agreed, pass to crit admins for execution.

Motion to file an Arbitration to get a list of accounts with special permissions carried.

(Piers had to leave at this point.)

Second part is to ask the persons responsible for an up-to-date copy of all access lists as specified in the Security Policy §3.4.2. "Persons responsible" are those listed in SP for access list modification, usually the corresponding team leader (Access Engineers don't have a team leader, that falls back to Board).

Tomas suggested to amend the proposed motion to include OA, even though it doesn't fall under SP (as noted by Ulrich). Dirk agreed that in that case it may be interesting to know whether the permissions are correct, even though not required by SP.

Motion including OA carried.

2.2 Community activity

Dirk presented a summary regarding the polo shirt project:

<dirk> the motion of the polo-shirts caused a discussion between the board-meetin and end-of-motion ...

<dirk> most of the money needed for the polos had been collected by/for secure-u in germany ...

<dirk> there are plans to support secure-u and oophaga on the next open-source-events (like fosdem/clt) ... so that the community will take care of them

<dirk> hopefully we will be able to pay a new server (non-critial) or a booth at cebit or other events next year ...

<dirk> using the polos we show up "changed" compared to the years before ...

<dirk> another thing is a offer of a possible talk and possible one-day-booth at cebit for an affordable price ... payed by the german community ...

<dirk> (however: details had to be fixed)

<dirk> this means: the motion for the upfront-payment of polos caused the "community-thing" to get awake again ...

<dirk> btw: birgit from FSFE is working at a small "something" for oophaga/CAcert for fosdem ...

2.3 Privacy and prior board decisions

Consensus achieved to discuss this later in private. Whether this will be included as a part of future regular board meeting or a special session organised is yet to be discussed via mail (Ian recommended to have a special session, which is what the previous boards did. Tomas is for a separate session too, Werner is fine both ways.)

3 Questions

Q (by Dirk): Kevin, can you give us some details about OFT?

A: No response from them yet, except that they've taken the money out of my account. I had meant to call them to ask; just didn't get a chance.

4 Closing

4.1 Next meeting

Dirk suggested moving the "when will we meet next" part before question time.

Next meeting proposed to be Friday 2012-01-27 same time as today, to be moved to Sunday if there are too many objections (via mail).


Brain/CAcertInc/Committee/MeetingAgendasAndMinutes/20120113 (last edited 2012-01-22 12:08:01 by TomasTrnka)