Committee Meeting 2011-08-07
The meeting will take place at 21:00 UTC in the IRC channel #board-meeting on the CAcert IRC network.
Committee Members: feel free to add a business within the acceptance period or your question to the board below. Others: add a question to the questions section.
Minutes author prepares the minutes from the last meeting (2011-07-31)
Minutes author prepares the action items. All action owners to update.
Minutes author puts motion m20110807.1 to accept the minutes
- Preliminaries 1. Chair opens the Committee Meeting
Businesses Important Note: Acceptance of Businesses 48 Hours before beginning of Committee Meeting latest!
- Finance Report 2010-2011 (?)
- 10-11: Need last bank statement for financial report. Request sent to Kevin.
- board report draft covering period 2010-2011
- Nomination for Access Engineer t/l ?
- request send to Access Engineer team for nominations?
- received nominations?
- Nomination for PR officer ?
- nomination received?
- compile initial board report for AGM
- Association move - CAcert to Europe (Cont. from 2 meetings ago)
- we have some details from michael about a german "verein"
- Advertising - Logo challenge (Cont. from last 2-3 meetings)
see sample on Testserver cacert1.it-sls.de
- in a previous meeting we had discussions about how to handle adverting ... and the rules on what has to be done ... we need to continue here to tell 'software' what to code ... (and to test ...
- we need to describe how the process works, and what the system should be able to do
- to see an "available" slot on the testserver, so we can test the "buy me" button and see if the correct info is displayed.
- if the 'logo' is not booked, we should redirect this to a wiki page ... with the rules on it ... and ... we should define, if the advertising logos should be displayed at non-login-state and/or even when logged in ...
- i think the advertising logos should always be displayed, irrespective of login status
- we should make sure the "logo" is a simple jpg, not an activeX or Java script (that needs to be checked with the software) to avoid some "clever" hacks
- would it be possible to come up with a proposal? Like the way the bidding works. What is on there if no one bought the place (something like "your logo could have been here"), etc.
- there are three exceptions: cats, blog and translingo ...
- software-team can do the technical proposal ... but the bidding-proposal should be discussed with more board-members
- people should have time to bid for a place up until two weeks before the start of the month, and bidding is per month, so someone could propose an offer for the coming 12 months, but it would not be a guarantee, it could be that someone bids more next month
it should be at least 10 euro, like on comma/SpecialCampaigns/LogosForSale
- will the other two advertising places be kept?
- the sponsor-line at the bottom?
- built-in advertising under right right menu bar?
- Arbitration (Cont. from last meeting)
- Arbitration seem to be stalled: 3 arbitrations in the queue, last month only one of the 12 aribitrators on the list made any progress.
- increasing motivation - what can increase motivation ?
- infos, news, success reports, events, things being done, activity, action
- Whats with a PR officer? currently this role is held by board
- to bring arbitration back to working, we need _active_ arbitrators .... this means, not working in other areas _and_ enough experience with CAcert - those people we cannot find at regular events, so the only chance, is at ATEs. What are the plans for next ATEs? eg. ATEs EU tour?
- ATEs will also help in assurance area to become more co-audits done, for the way to audit
- funding project for ATEs thru Europe needed
- who can create a plan for these ATE's? including a budget? (question still open, then board can discuss and decide)
- ATE proposal needs some rethinking
- we have 12 arbitrators on the list, to motivate the existing ones
- What is boards plan for Audit? (still open question, should be discussed with all board members in place)
Business added by Your Name Comment: Replace "Business Three" by Title of Business and add your Name
Additional Inputs Comment: Replace "Additional Inputs"by Description of Business, Description of Reason-Why/Purpose, Additional Comments, Additional Documents, Additional Links, if useful for other Committee Members to prepare for Committee Meeting.
- et cetera
- Finance Report 2010-2011 (?)
Question Time Important Note: Questions from CAcert.org Community Members can be added until beginning of Committee Meeting! As well questions can be asked at "Question Time", without added Question here
Question One added by Your Name Comment: Replace "Question One" by Your Question and add your Name
- et cetera
Confirm the next Committee Meeting: Usually every 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month 21:00 UTC.
- Chair closes the Committee Meeting
Present: Alexander, Dirk, Ian, Lambert, Mario, Piers
Meeting chaired by Lambert
1.2 Last Meeting Minutes
Motion to accept the minutes from the last meeting carried].
1.3 Minutes taker
Piers to take minutes.
1.4 Board Private issues
Nothing to report.
1.5 Action Items
Needs to be ready by beginning of September to be in time for AGM in October/November, but Lambert on vacation this month. Dirk to mail an initial outline for others to augment.
There is a possible outline of action items here:
- board motions,
- board minutes,
- Board's archived open email traffic,
- Board's archived private email traffic,
- Annual Report, forward looking statement.
2.1 Finance Report
Draft report sent out by Alexander. Items needing discussion:
- google ads have stopped paying
- Dirk will discuss at next software meeting.
- credit union account missing in action
- Alexander will initiate enquiries
- non-donations income declining
- To be discussed at next meeting
- invoice template mislaid
- Alexander to create new one
Board members need to review Alexander's report, and then he'll finalise it.
2.2 Nomination for Access Engineer t/l
Dirk to send out mail this week.
2.3 Nomination for PR officer
Alexander Bahlo has been unofficially nominated. To be discussed at next software meeting. Suggestion that PR officer create a team of other interested members.
2.4 Board Report
(Discussed under Action Items.)
2.5 Association move - CAcert to Europe
Michael Stehmann has been consulted about the German verein. A possible problem is that the chair and vice-chair have to go to a German notary for a signature after every AGM, however they may both be foreigners. Note that notaries are not free.
Moved: that we we try to form a subcommittee that will come up with a few options for moving CAcert carried.
Reminder for everyone to add their thoughts to AssociationMove.
2.6 Advertising - Logo challenge
Dirk and Alexander to summarise feedback in a wiki page.
This issue has become, if anything, even more important.
The requirements for an arbitrator are:
- Senior Assurer
- familiar with CAcert areas and policies
- familiar with certificates in general, and CAcert certificates in particular
an interest in legal ramifications
Suggestion to send existing arbitrators to each ATE to talk about the work, with followup discussions arranged with interested parties. Point being that arbitration needs individual recruitment.
To be continued ...
2.8 What is boards plan for Audit?
Benedikt has started his Risk Analysis on Escrow: it looks like there are a couple of points not yet thought about. Like double-encryption of the keys but no word about the Escrow of the encryption keys.
(Further discussion delayed to next meeting.)
3.1 Thawte Patch
This is close to be becoming active - discussion to be added to next meeting agenda.
4.1 Next meeting