Committee Meeting 2011-07-31

The meeting will take place at 21:00 UTC in the IRC channel #board-meeting on the CAcert IRC network.

Committee Members: feel free to add a business within the acceptance period or your question to the board below. Others: add a question to the questions section.


  1. Minutes author prepares the minutes from the last meeting (2011-07-17)

  2. Minutes author prepares the action items. All action owners to update.

  3. Minutes author puts motion m20110731.1 to accept the minutes


  1. Preliminaries
    1. Chair opens the Committee Meeting
    2. Accept the minutes from the last meeting.

    3. Who is making minutes?
    4. Chair asks whether cacert-board-private maillist includes any items that need to be disclosed to Members.

    5. Chair introduces the URL of action items to the meeting, and asks for discussion.

  2. Businesses Important Note: Acceptance of Businesses 48 Hours before beginning of Committee Meeting latest!

    1. Transfer a20100404.1 arbitration case "Urgent dispute filing to block off OAs" to OAO as Claimant to this case
      • was removed action item: || 20100418 2.1 || Fact finding for OA "apparent security hole" || OAO (was: Mario) || ||

      • a transfer may conflict with DRP 2.2

    2. Advertising - Logo challenge (Cont. from last, last meeting)
    3. Arbitration (Cont. from last meeting)
      • Arbitration seem to be stalled: 3 arbitrations in the queue, last month only one of the 12 aribitrators on the list made any progress.
      • We need more resources/arbitrators. We could review which cases get sent to arbitration - maybe some could be directed to support, or rejected. However, that is of course an arbitration decision.
      • => Issue needs more thought - put on agenda for next meeting

      • From last meeting:
        1. we need "project leaders" to keep these activities going (2 of 3 "nominated")
          1. New Roots & Escrow - Peter

          2. Arbitration - Dirk
          3. Software-Assessment - ?
        2. but also increase the motivation by showing that we actually accomplish something
          1. How?
          2. Which way?
          3. Which channels?
          4. Who?
    4. Association move - CAcert to Europe (Cont. from last meeting)
    5. Nomination for Access Engineer t/l ?
    6. Payment for AU ATE Expenses (added by Piers)
      • Kevin only has access for payments to the account with AU$300 in it. Needs authorisation from Board for which account to make payments from, and to be able to move monies between them.
    7. Marcus requests authorization to send mail to all assured orgs. See mail from Marcus.

    8. Renewal of domain names. Added by Alexander

Wytze notifies that the following domains soon expire. He offers to renew them using his own creditcard if the board agrees to pay him back the costs including Paypal transactions fees + $/€ conversion. Alternative is that someone else does the renewal. When renewing for 5 years or longer a 5-10% discount applies. Renewal for one year for the three domains costs USD 30.77.

Which domains do we want to prolong and for which duration? What does the board prefer for payment method?


1 Preliminaries

Present: Dirk, Ian, Lambert, Piers

1.1 Open

Meeting chaired by Lambert

1.2 Last Meeting Minutes

Motion to accept the minutes from the last meeting m20110731.1]

1.3 Minutes taker

Piers to take minutes.

1.4 Board Private issues

Nothing to report.

1.5 Action Items

Lambert is overloaded at work, so no progress on his action items.

Assign Access Team Leader

Dirk will send mail to Access Team calling for leader nomination.

Compile Initial Board Report

No progress

(Other items)

Responsible Board members not present.

2 Business

As only three board members present at the start of meeting, agenda restricted to actionable items: 2.1, 2.2, 2.7 and 2.8

2.1 Transfer a20100404.1 arbitration case "Urgent dispute filing to block off OAs" to OAO as Claimant to this case

This is to be discussed with Marcus in a separate session.

2.2 Advertising - Logo challenge (Cont. from last, last meeting)

Discussed need for a mechanism to allow potential advertisers to book a slot. Also the current sponsor placements should be preserved. Dirk will discuss possible proposals with Software Team this week. Also the Google advertising seems not to be working - Dirk to check.

2.7 Marcus requests authorization to send mail to all assured orgs

Motion that we allow Marcus to send the proposed message carried.

2.8 Renewal of domain names

Discussion of renewal period. Decided, as we now have control of finances, to go for 5 year renewal as the cheapest option.

Motion that we secure the domain names for the coming 5 years carried.

Motion that Wytze renew the three domain names for the coming 5 years, and the board authorizes reimbursement for the amount, including paypal transaction fees carried.

3 Questions

Ulrich asked about progress on the arbitration problem.

We need to attract more active arbitrators, possibly with the help of a PR appointment. Proposal is for more ATE tours, and to ask Alexander Bahlo to do more PR. For the ATE's we need funding and event organisers. Dirk will discuss off-line.

4 Closing

4.1 Next meeting

Next meeting: Sunday, August 7th 2011, 21:00 UTC


Brain/CAcertInc/Committee/MeetingAgendasAndMinutes/20110731 (last edited 2011-08-07 21:12:32 by Piers Lauder)