Committee Meeting 2022-10-06

The meeting will take place at 19:00 UTC in the IRC channel #board-meeting on the CAcert IRC network.

Feel free to add a business item within the acceptance period of 48 hours or your question to the board below. Non-committee members: the committee may choose to convert any business proposed as a question in the questions section.


Signs that appear in the agenda
<!> Formulated motion on your topic. It will be put to the vote. Adjustments may be made before the vote. A motion must be submitted for resolutions!
{i} Information for your attention. Does not need to be explained or discussed at the meeting. Purpose: Everyone is up to date.

  1. Preliminaries
    1. Chair opens the Committee Meeting
    2. Who is making minutes?
    3. Chair asks whether cacert-board-private or cacert-board maillist includes any items that need to be disclosed to Members.

    4. <!> Accept minutes from 1. September 2022 <!> "I move to accept the minutes of the committee meeting of 1st of September 2022."

  2. Business

    Acceptance of new business items no later than 48 hours before the start of the committee meeting!

    1. Quick decisions
      1. <!> Maybe* "I move to accept the background check for Gero T." (*the BGC is done, decision can be taken if it arrives before the meeting, if not, decision to be taken on a later meeting)

      2. <!> Maybe* "I move to accept the background check for Kim N." (Etienne and Kim have to stand down) (*the BGC is done, decision can be taken if it arrives before the meeting, if not, decision to be taken on a later meeting)

    2. Quick infos
      1. {i} CCA update is delayed. (Dirk and Etienne discussed the matter in July, it comes... ad new IBAN in Feb, review in March, sent in spring after new firewall installed)

      2. {i} Wiki Admin: Ales has ....; Kim and Michael have editing rights.

    3. Finance team (Michael)

      1. New ERP: Info: State of affairs
      2. {i} Secretary started signing new base contract procedure with GKB.

      3. {i} EUR account: IBAN ......

    4. OpenID Connect (Brian) State of affairs

    5. Transfer from secureU e.V. (Information)
      1. {i} Frédéric and Dirk startet some paperwork; Mark O and Etienne R are waiting until this is done.

    6. Background Check (Ted)

      1. {i} BGC for Gero: Interview happend (by Ted&Etienne), committee is waiting for the report (has to be sent by Gero).

      2. {i} BGC for Kim: Date is in confirmation phase (by Ted&Etienne)

      3. {i} BGC for Peter is initated. (date searching; Interview by Ted&Egal)

      4. {i} BGC for Matthias and Sascha are initated. (date searching started in August)

    7. Events
      1. {i} LCA 2023 (Australia): call for presentations (sent to 711 subscribers at cacert@lists):

    8. Remote Assurance (Brian)

      1. {i} Creation of remote assurance sub committee (RASC) on the hold until Eva is available for the policy. eVA SPOKE WITH BRIAN IN SEPT, ETC

    9. Annual General Meeting (Saturday, 12.Nov.2022, 20:00 UTC)
      1. {i} Save the date; secretary has contacted associations members (1.Sept.2022)

      2. {i} Start Reports (Teams, Secretary, Treasurer); secretary has contacted team leaders, team members (1.Sept.2022)

  3. Question Time

    Questions from community members can be added until beginning of committee meeting! As well questions can be asked at "Question Time", without added question here.

    1. Could [] help us?

    2. "Question One." added by Your Name Comment: Replace "Question One" by your Question and add your name

      • ..
    3. Closing
      1. Agree on date of the next Committee Meeting: 3. Nov. 2022
      2. Agree on the following meeting dates: maybe 1. Dez. 2022, maybe 5. Jan., maybe 2. Feb. 2023 (keep date free, can be changed if necessary) - will be decided by the new committee
    4. To remember: Goals 2021/2022 (propositions by board 2020/2021) - Each goal needs a responsible person on the board who keeps an eye on it and reports regularly, keeps in touch with the responsible people. {X} obsolete / (./) started / {OK} waiting for available time

      • push OrgA (Guy)
      • expand PR (Alex cannot do this, wants to hand over)
      • {X} support SecureU (find an active board member for them in Germany)

      • (./) expand background check

      • simplify the certificate creation (this enables the start of various projects from the pipeline)
      • {OK} remote assurance, if accepted by the community;

      • software development and testing
      • (./) delivering the OpenID Connect integration, for which CAcert is funded by the RIPE NCC.

      • New CSR software
    5. Not to forget: Staffing the teams
      1. Applicants to the Infrastructure team
      2. Applicants to the Development team
      3. Applicant to the Critical team

  1. Access to local systems for board members



Committee Archive






































1. Tasks assigned to Board Members and others




Other People Involved



Contact QA/QC Volunteers

10 January 2022

Gero Treuner, Peter Nunn, others?

To begin work, they do not need ABC.











  1. Software Team
    1. Issue 1502: Adapt the UI at to deal with the "keygen" feature having been removed in browsers

    2. Issue 1482: Limit validity period of new HTTPS certificates to one year

    3. Issue 1444: PHP - Brian

    4. Issue 1417: Keygen / new CSR software - Bernhard

  2. Organisation Assurance
    1. How to relance OrgA? (Guy)
  3. Grant applications
    1. Protopype Fund (mail to SW Board only)

      1. The Prototype Fund is a project of the Open Knowledge Foundation Germany, funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). This is for residents of Germany only. We could create a group of people that work on a project for CAcert (with all support of the others in the background). It runs for two more years, every 6 month.
      2. Infra does not see any acute need at the moment, and does not have the capacity to provide qualified support.
      3. There are some ideas for software, but in infra's view there is still a lot of conceptual and preparatory work missing. What Infra could imagine is financing people to carry out a requirements analysis and write a requirements and test specification. This could then be used as a basis for a new implementation of the CAcert software (WebDB, Signer and perhaps other things like CATS). But these are just a few ideas of JanDD and he cannot currently recommend any people who would be suitable for this. Potential candidates would have to deal intensively with the existing software on the one hand and with the underlying policies on the other, and would have to identify a lot of missing information, ask for it and make assumptions for discussion. This requires very good analytical and communication skills and a high level of stamina.
  1. Blockchain
    1. see here: (waiting for answer from IanG)

Committee meeting - 2022-10-06


Members of the Committee:

Present, by alphabetical order

Brian McCullough

Etienne Ruedin

Kim Nilsson

Absent or silent, by alphabetical order

Frédéric Dumas

/!\ Edit conflict - other version:

Michael Richardson

/!\ Edit conflict - your version:

/!\ End of edit conflict

Sascha Ternes

Wacław Schiller

/!\ Edit conflict - other version:

/!\ Edit conflict - your version:

Michael Richardson

/!\ End of edit conflict

Members of the CAcert community and other guests

Having been active during the meeting, by alphabetical order

Aleš Kastner - did not participate - this will be removed if participating

Dirk Astrath -

Pierre-Olivier Mercier - did not participate - this will be removed if participating

Yuri Nazarov - did not participate - this will be removed if participating

1.1 Opening

Chair, Brian, opens the meeting at 19:05 UTC

Etienne moved to accept the minutes of the committee meeting of 1st of September 2022. Accepted.

2.3.Finance Team - Michael absent - has left comments in Telegram.

Michael had hoped to prepare the draft statements for the board to approve before the AGM, but it will be done on the weekend after he returns to Ottawa.

2.3.1 ERP - Both Michael and FD absent, and they are the ones involved

Item 2.3.2-2.3.3 -- Base contract / EUR Account. - Etienne is in contact with the treasurer and the bank as well. The EUR IBAN is expected for the next week.

2.4 Brian waiting for Jan to do some changes in the infrastructure. Will work with Jan to expedite.

2.5 Shutdown of SecureU and transfer to CAcert - Etienne has been added to BIT's system as contact. Other than that no news.

2.6 BGCs - Ted, Kim and Etienne will do another try during October. The rest not booked yet.

2.7 Events - LCA 2023 (Australia) - Etienne sent invitations to all Australian members.

2.8 Remote Assurance - awaiting Eva having time in here schedule to start. Conversed with Brian in Sep. Brian will reach out again soon.

2.9 AGM - Wiki page up, - Teams and leaders have been asked to submit reports.

3. Question time

3.1 - Site where users can help out fixing bugs in other's code. May even be interesting to submit some of CAcert's code to see if someone knows/wants to help fix.

3.2 Kim brings up the discussion about making accessible by users not already having a CAcert root cert installed (LetsEncrypt CA will be fine), and using for all member specific content. com/net having general content, public marketing, stuff you want to know before becoming a member and signing up on Kim agrees to put together a draft of what things could be on the two sites, and to present that on next month's board meeting.

3.3 Dirk presents some issues about expired certificates, requiring a move of OCSP to new server, which may in the end be very beneficial, as Critical Team may be able to power down server sun3, and save a lot of electricity.

3.4 Things to remember

push OrgA: Etienne's task for 22/23 to push Guy to push it

expand PR: Etienne helps Alex until we find a new or a second PR officer

support secureU: obsolete

expanding background checks

certificate creation / CSR - development project - hopefully make it as easy as before. Etienne will write a non-technical concept that technicians can transform in a technical one.

remote assurance - moving forward, albeit slowly

PHP update needed

3.5 Closing

Next Committee Meeting: 3. Nov. 2022

Following meeting dates: maybe 1. Dez. 2022, maybe 5. Jan., maybe 2. Feb. 2023

Brian/Chair ends the meeting at 20:15 UTC.


Logfile from meeting 2022-10-06








prepare Agenda and Minutes for the next meeting


Software meeting

every 2 month



accounts, contact with treasurer

Brain/CAcertInc/Committee/MeetingAgendasAndMinutes/2022-10-06 (last edited 2022-11-03 18:26:17 by EtienneRuedin)