Information for new board members

Committee Meeting 2018-12-27 (2018-12-28 in Australia)

The meeting will take place at 20:00 UTC in the IRC channel #board-meeting on the CAcert IRC network.

08:00 PM GMT = 21:00 CET = 15:00 New York EDT = '''07:00 Australia AEST following day'''

Feel free to add a business item within the acceptance period of 48 hours or your question to the board below. Non-committee Members: Committee may choose to convert any business proposed as a question in the questions section.


  1. Minutes author prepares the minutes from the last meeting

  2. Minutes author prepares the actions from meeting and actions overview. All action owners to update.

  3. Minutes author puts motion m2018MMDD.1 to accept the minutes from the last meeting.


  1. Preliminaries
    1. Chair opens the Committee Meeting
    2. Who is making minutes?
    3. Is there a timelimit? Who is time keeper?
    4. Accept the minutes from the last meeting.

    5. Chair asks whether cacert-board-private or cacert-board maillist includes any items that need to be disclosed to Members.

    6. Chair points actions from last meeting to the meeting, and asks for discussion.

    Election pledge: The outgoing committee has initiated various measures to get the finances under control. In addition, it intends to bring CAcert to Europe in 2019 (preparations are underway to do it with no need to change policies). This means that there will be an SGM in the first half of 2019 anyway. Then it could be decided: - relocate and continue - or wind up. By then it should have become apparent whether we have got the finances under control. For possibilities, see:

    Secretary's pledge: "(if) each board member is willing to do about 10% more during this transition period (he has) time to prepare statutes (for Switzerland) and (prepare the) SGM."

    Acceptance of Businesses 48 Hours before beginning of Committee Meeting latest!

  2. Business
    1. Arbitration
      1. mailing list (update)
    2. Committee
      1. mailing list cacert-inc (review, decision)

      2. membership applications
        1. Daniel R, Bavaria (Decision)
    3. Grants: open and new inquiries (BDMC)
      1. open and new inquiries we have now for month 46 ideas. Each of us has to take one per month to apply, as having the ideas only in the wiki will never bring some funds.

      2. Formal documented plan for our future ( needed by both CAcert and people giving us money )
        1. Mission Statement and Strategic Plan. Who writes a draft? What is the deadline? (decision)
        2. CAcert for webmail services (discussion)
    4. Finances
      1. Westpac (Kevin, Peter M, Dirk; update)
      2. Invoice Hosting 11/2017-05/2018 €1107.65 (update)
      3. Invoice Hosting 06/2018-11/2018 €1324.09 (decision)
      4. Pay back donations? Sometime people make a donation and later claim it back trough paypal. How to deal with it? (decision)
    5. Software
      1. Bug 1305: New root (update) (Ted)
      2. Root Certificate Class 3 (end of life) (Brian)
      3. Bug 1260 (and sub bugs 144x): PHP/Software (update) (Brian, GuKK, Peter M)
      4. other (new/pressing/...)
    6. Dummy project (update) (Alex/FD)
    7. Business added by Your Name Comment: Replace "Business One" by Title of Business and add your Name

      • Additional Inputs Comment: Replace "Additional Inputs"by Description of Business, Description of Reason-Why/Purpose, Additional Comments, Additional Documents, Additional Links, if useful for other Committee Members to prepare for Committee Meeting.

    8. et cetera

    Questions from Community Members can be added until beginning of Committee Meeting! As well questions can be asked at "Question Time", without added Question here

  3. Question Time
    1. Question One added by Your Name Comment: Replace "Question One" by Your Question and add your Name

      • et cetera
  4. Closing
    1. Agree on date of the next Committee Meeting (Wed/Thu 20 GMT = 21 FR/CH = 15 NY = Thu/Fri 07 AEST)
    2. Agree on dates for the meetings until the end of March
    3. Chair closes the Committee Meeting


Logfile from meeting 2018-AM-AD


Minutes will be written once the meeting is finished, with tasks listed in action items and Actions of this document.

Present: Brian, Peter M, Frédéric D, Etienne, Peter N



Guests: Alain V, Lambert, Dirk


At 20:00 UTC Brian took chair and started the meeting.

The minutes will be accepted in January, as do to illness and Christmas preparing, they are not written yet.

Business Another review of committee's mailing lists. Two former board members have to be removed from the board private and inc mailing list. The secretary will take the measures needed.

An other thing is the list of people who are notified when we make changes to our Agendas or other wiki pages. Committee was told by the wiki admin: As the wiki belongs to the community, there are two possibilities: ask the person the remove the notification or ask arbitration.

The committee accept Daniel Rutte from Munich, Bavaria as a new member of CAcert Inc. The secretary will send him a welcome.

Future: We have now for month 46 ideas how to get money. Each of us has to take one per month to apply, as having the ideas only in the wiki will never bring some funds. Why? We have 700€ at paypal. We have 2400€ to pay. To take from Westpac 1700€. At Westpac we may have >2000$. Remaining to start in 2019 0-400$ at Westpac. plus donations in 2019. plus membership 2019 500€. plus membership last years 0-1000€. means: shut down in June-September 2019. That is the reason, why I wrote: each of us has to pick up and follow one idea each month from NOW on. I my opinion, there is no need to discuss which idea by whom, but only the principle: each month one idea per person. And hopefully one or another brings the funds we need. (secretary)

Each committee member has (and each community member is invited) to pick up each month one of this ideas to get the money we need for the running costs of the CA. While picking up one, please send an e-mail to cacert-board-private@lists.c.o.; please report at the following meeting(s) or by mail to the same address about updates, progress and results.

Furthermore, the committee is talking about strategic and operational ideas. Do we first need a strategy or can we get the strategy starting with sorting out good ideas? Actually, people know what CAcert was, but weren't sure that we knew how to move forward. Peter M will lead the discussion on board-private for instance. From the practical side, ideas are signing e-mails in webmail services, the use of the WoT for dating sites or hospitaly clubs (like couch surfing).

In any case, we should know, what we offer (15 years of experience in the internet!), how to sell it and offer an easy product for the customer.

The password rest information on has to be revised. see Bug 1454.

Question Time

  1. What about the move to Europe? (Peter M) Answer: If we see, that could be a financial future (in March, April), its worth to move to Europe. If we do not see any future, no need to change the statutes for the last half year. (Etienne)


We agreed on 2019-01-17-20:00 UTC for the next meeting.

Chair closed the meeting at 22:10 (quorum) / 22:23 (closing) UTC








prepare Agenda and Minutes for the next meeting

Brain/CAcertInc/Committee/MeetingAgendasAndMinutes/2018-12-27 (last edited 2019-01-13 23:05:35 by EtienneRuedin)