Committee Meeting 2012-03-02

The meeting will take place at 20:00 UTC in the IRC channel #board-meeting on the CAcert IRC network.

Committee Members: feel free to add a business within the acceptance period or your question to the board below. Others: add a question to the questions section.


  1. Minutes author prepares the minutes from the last meeting

  2. Minutes author prepares the action items. All action owners to update.

  3. Minutes author puts motion m20120214.1 to accept the minutes


  1. Preliminaries
    1. Chair opens the Committee Meeting
    2. Accept the minutes from the last meeting.

    3. Who is making minutes?
    4. Chair asks whether cacert-board-private maillist includes any items that need to be disclosed to Members.

    5. Chair introduces the URL of action items to the meeting, and asks for discussion.

  2. Businesses Important Note: Acceptance of Businesses 48 Hours before beginning of Committee Meeting latest!

    1. Merchandising: Crypto Tokens -- deferred from last meeting
    2. Business added by Your Name Comment: Replace "Business One" by Title of Business and add your Name

      • Additional Inputs Comment: Replace "Additional Inputs"by Description of Business, Description of Reason-Why/Purpose, Additional Comments, Additional Documents, Additional Links, if useful for other Committee Members to prepare for Committee Meeting.

    3. et cetera
  3. Question Time Important Note: Questions from Community Members can be added until beginning of Committee Meeting! As well questions can be asked at "Question Time", without added Question here

    1. Proposal of a new community web portal run by the community together with secure-u, INOPIAE
      • et cetera
  4. Closing
    1. Confirm the next Committee Meeting: Usually every 2nd and 4th Friday of the month 20:00 UTC.

    2. Chair closes the Committee Meeting


1 Preliminaries

1.1 Opening

Meeting chaired by Piers.

1.2 Minutes from last meeting

Minutes from last meeting accepted by m20120214.1.

1.3 Minute taker

Minutes will be taken by Piers.

1.4 Disclosure of private communication

Discussion of privacy issue - ongoing.

1.5 Action items

No progress to report.

2 Business

2.1 Merchandising: Crypto Tokens -- deferred from last meeting

Michael posted details to board list just before this meeting (see:

Also see: and

gooze has put up a proposal at

Ian pointed out that "CAcert Inc preserves and defends its brand (this is a prior decision from TOP 2007)" so any placing of the brand or logo on a commercial product would need an explicit permission from the Board.

Michael explained that the idea is to sell from the gooze website on a CAcert specific page.

The deal with gooze involves exclusivity for one year.

The general issue of dealing with merchandising needs to be clarified so that CAcert can respond to such offers more quickly in future. Probably along the lines of "we like programs that align with open source / GPL", so that cooperation with, eg: gooze, can be based on that (without needing to endorse the crypto part).

Ian suggested: "CAcert Inc is part of and facilitates the world of open source, and is happy to license its brand name for limited displays on open source commercial products on a case by case basis. To this end CAcert Community members must meet the people behind the venture, make an assessment that this is indeed an aligned open source provider, and that the product is offered fairly and openly."

Motion proposed: CAcert Inc. wants to form a cooperation with gooze that consists of the promotion of hardware devices in exchange for a share in the revenue m20120302.1.

It was suggested that one (or two) people be delegated by the board to finalise the negotiations with gooze.

(Piers left the meeting at this point, and Dirk took over the chair.)

The discussion continued on the private channel.

3 Questions

3.1 Proposal of a new community web portal run by the community together with secure-u

Marcus brought up the creation of a new community web portal: The German community inc secure-u offered to run the new community web portal from the data security point of view. The question is if board supports that the community is moving this way.

The proposal is to make this the new landing page for The discussion covered the issue of access to CAcert data being kept on pages. Will the new landing page run on servers. Also, there seems to be talk of a contract which would need careful consideration. (The contract may affect access to private data and affect privacy issues.)

More details are needed.

4 Closing

Next meeting: Friday, March 18th 2012, 20:00 UTC

Meeting closed by chair.


Brain/CAcertInc/Committee/MeetingAgendasAndMinutes/20120302 (last edited 2012-03-14 07:55:33 by Piers Lauder)