Internships are possible. This page describes some preliminary processes.
- For Interns, to create positive learning environments stretching students towards future careers.
- For CAcert, to create productive possibilities towards our projects and our Community.
- For all, to ensure correct and reliable assessments.
An Internship involves a natural conflict between the learning experiences for the Intern and the participation in the project. Because of the nature of Computer Science and other technology fields, learning by doing is essential.
Checklist For CAcert
Once a student and potential project is identified, the following checklist should be addressed.
- A supervisor should be identified.
- The project should be detailed.
- A reviewer should be identified.
- The obligations of student, org and supervisor(s) should be reviewed to be reasonable.
- The invitation should be extended by leader/board/pres.
Because of the time, opportunity and cost invested, this is no light thing. Before an invitation is extended, the checklist should be seriously covered. Note that the market is intensely competitive, so the process should be negotiated carefully.
President sends a letter with words like this:
- Dear Alice,
This letter is to invite you to participate in CAcert's (PROJECT X). Your participation will take place from START to END in LOCATION, and may be considered as an internship or student placement.
We anticipate that given your level of experience, the best place for you will be the (PART Y - optional). This will require you to (TASK LIST).
This project is supervised by (ASSURER BOB). At the end of your contribution, there will be an independent review of the work you have done, and a written report of accomplishments. This review will be conducted by (ASSURER CAROL), with assistance from others, and the report may be relied upon by others within the Community. It will of course be your responsibility to provide evidence to support any statement to a CARS (CAcert Assurer Reliable Statement) level.
PS: Bob will be in touch shortly with administrative and goal details.