Committee Meeting 2022-09-01

The meeting will take place at 18:00 UTC in the IRC channel #board-meeting on the CAcert IRC network.

Feel free to add a business item within the acceptance period of 48 hours or your question to the board below. Non-committee members: the committee may choose to convert any business proposed as a question in the questions section.


Signs that appear in the agenda
<!> Formulated motion on your topic. It will be put to the vote. Adjustments may be made before the vote. A motion must be submitted for resolutions!
{i} Information for your attention. Does not need to be explained or discussed at the meeting. Purpose: Everyone is up to date.

  1. Preliminaries
    1. Chair opens the Committee Meeting
    2. Who is making minutes?
    3. Chair asks whether cacert-board-private or cacert-board maillist includes any items that need to be disclosed to Members.

    4. <!> Accept minutes from 4. August 2022 <!> "I move to accept the minutes of the committee meeting of 4th of August 2022."

  2. Business

    Acceptance of new business items no later than 48 hours before the start of the committee meeting!

    1. Quick decisions
      1. <!> Maybe* "I move to accept the background check for Gero T." (*the BGC is done, decision can be taken if it arrives before the meeting, if not, decision to be taken on a later meeting)

    2. Quick infos
      1. {i} CCA update is delayed. (Dirk and Etienne discussed the matter in July, it comes... ad new IBAN in Feb, review in March, sent in spring after new firewall installed)

      2. {i} Wiki Admin: Mario updated as follows: Admin (Mario, Dirk, Etienne); Support (Ales, Dirk, Michael, Joost); SupportEngineerGroup (Ales, Dirk, Michael, Joost) (8. Aug. 2022) Etienne asked Kim and Michael to send him their usernames; so he can check if it works as it should. (31. Aug. 2022)

    3. Finance team (Michael)

      1. New ERP: Info: State of affairs
      2. {i} Secretary started signing new base contract procedure with GKB, EUR account follows just after.

    4. OpenID Connect (Brian) State of affairs

    5. Future of secureU e.V. (Information)
      1. {i} Frédéric and Dirk startet some paperwork; Mark O and Etienne R are waiting until this is done.

    6. Background Check (Ted)

      1. {i} BGC for Gero: Interview happend (by Ted&Etienne), committee is waiting for the report (has to be sent by Gero).

      2. {i} BGC for Kim: Date is in confirmation phase (by Ted&Etienne)

      3. {i} BGC for Peter is initated. (date searching; Interview by Ted&Egal)

      4. {i} BGC for Matthias and Sascha are initated. (date searching started in August)

    7. Registrar
      1. Should CAcert's domains be transferred to another registrar, as it has been suggested by Dirk before? (Discussion)
      2. Criteria? Suggestions? Justification?
        a) supports all the ccTLD/TLD I care about.
        b) lets me insert DS records for DNSSEC
        c) has HTTPS and IPv6 for it's web site, and SMTP port.
        d) supports some 2FA, preferrably TOTP rather than SMS
        e) bills me in a currency I can use                 (a-e by Michael)
    8. Events
      1. Froscon (what happend? by Dirk)

      2. {i} LCA 2023 (Australia): call for presentations (sent to 711 subscribers at cacert@lists):

    9. Remote Assurance (Brian)

      1. {i} Creation of remote assurance sub committee (RASC) on the hold until Eva is available for the policy.

    10. Annual General Meeting (Saturday, 12.Nov.2022, 20:00 UTC)
      1. {i} Start Reports (Teams, Secretary, Treasurer); secretary has to contact team leaders

  3. Question Time

    Questions from community members can be added until beginning of committee meeting! As well questions can be asked at "Question Time", without added question here.

    1. "Question One." added by Your Name Comment: Replace "Question One" by your Question and add your name

      • ..
    2. Closing
      1. Agree on date of the next Committee Meeting: 1. Sept. 2022
      2. Agree on the following meeting dates: 1. Sept., 6. Okt., 3. Nov. 2022 (keep date free, can be changed if necessary)
    3. To remember: Goals 2021/2022 (propositions by board 2020/2021) - Each goal needs a responsible person on the board who keeps an eye on it and reports regularly, keeps in touch with the responsible people. {X} obsolete / (./) started / {OK} waiting for available time

      • push OrgA (Guy)
      • expand PR (Alex cannot do this, wants to hand over)
      • {X} support SecureU (find an active board member for them in Germany)

      • (./) expand background check

      • simplify the certificate creation (this enables the start of various projects from the pipeline)
      • {OK} remote assurance, if accepted by the community;

      • software development and testing
      • (./) delivering the OpenID Connect integration, for which CAcert is funded by the RIPE NCC.

      • New CSR software
    4. Not to forget: Staffing the teams
      1. Applicants to the Infrastructure team
      2. Applicants to the Development team
      3. Applicant to the Critical team

  1. Access to local systems for board members



Committee Archive






































1. Tasks assigned to Board Members and others




Other People Involved



Contact QA/QC Volunteers

10 January 2022

Gero Treuner, Peter Nunn, others?

To begin work, they do not need ABC.











  1. Software Team
    1. Issue 1502: Adapt the UI at to deal with the "keygen" feature having been removed in browsers

    2. Issue 1482: Limit validity period of new HTTPS certificates to one year

    3. Issue 1444: PHP - Brian

    4. Issue 1417: Keygen / new CSR software - Bernhard

  2. Organisation Assurance
    1. How to relance OrgA? (Guy)
  3. Grant applications
    1. Protopype Fund (mail to SW Board only)

      1. The Prototype Fund is a project of the Open Knowledge Foundation Germany, funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). This is for residents of Germany only. We could create a group of people that work on a project for CAcert (with all support of the others in the background). It runs for two more years, every 6 month.
      2. Infra does not see any acute need at the moment, and does not have the capacity to provide qualified support.
      3. There are some ideas for software, but in infra's view there is still a lot of conceptual and preparatory work missing. What Infra could imagine is financing people to carry out a requirements analysis and write a requirements and test specification. This could then be used as a basis for a new implementation of the CAcert software (WebDB, Signer and perhaps other things like CATS). But these are just a few ideas of JanDD and he cannot currently recommend any people who would be suitable for this. Potential candidates would have to deal intensively with the existing software on the one hand and with the underlying policies on the other, and would have to identify a lot of missing information, ask for it and make assumptions for discussion. This requires very good analytical and communication skills and a high level of stamina.
  1. Blockchain
    1. see here: (waiting for answer from IanG)

Committee meeting - 2022-09-01


Members of the Committee:

Present, by alphabetical order

Brian McCullough

Etienne Ruedin

Kim Nilsson

Sascha Ternes

Absent or silent, by alphabetical order

Frédéric Dumas

Wacław Schiller

Members of the CAcert community and other guests

Having been active during the meeting, by alphabetical order

Aleš Kastner - did not participate - this will be removed if participating

Dirk Astrath - reported about Froscon

Pierre-Olivier Mercier - did not participate - this will be removed if participating

Yuri Nazarov - did not participate - this will be removed if participating

1.1 Opening

Chair, Brian, opens the meeting at 18:03 UTC

1.2 Kim takes minutes, using text in Nextcloud.

1.3 Nothing from mailing lists that needed to be discussed.

1.4 Kim moves to accept the minutes of the committee meeting of 4th of August 2022. Accepted.

2.2.2 Etienne is now Wiki admin, and Kim confirms that he now has edit access to wiki. Probably Michael to, awaiting confirmation.

2.3 Finance - will come back to this if Michael shows signs of life - else, as the agenda says, things are moving forward.

2.4 OpenID Connect - Brian is aiming to have something tangible by the end of September.

2.5 secureU - Etienne explains that things are moving forward, step by step....

2.6 BGC - Ted & Etienne will most likely be able to complete a BGC of Kim during September.

2.7 New registrar - Brian moves that CAcert's Critical Team be authorised to choose a new registrar for CAcert's purposes, at a time appropriate for their needs. Accepted.

2.8 Events - Dirk has been telling about the events this summer during Wednesday meetings, but IIRC he's travelling tonight, so no stories. Etienne mentions that he has emailed CAcert subscribers.

Dirk came, and tells about there being many assurances during Froscon, even up to 100p; the OpenID Connect idea had been popular;

2.9 Remote assurances - Brian expresses hope that Eva will be able to initiate some work on this idea during this autumn. Etienne suggests Brian reach out, which he will. Dirk had just before today's meeting had a chat with Eva, so Brian will not have to reach out, as Eva will contact him instead.

2.10 AGM - Teams have been asked to send reports to Secretary Etienne. Kim asks about payment reminder (will be sent), and whether PayPal is still a valid method, which it is, but not preferred. Bank transfer is better. Info at

3 Question time - no questions

Next meeting at 19:00 UTC on 6 October, 2022-10-06

Chair, Brian calls the meeting to an end 19:03 UTC


Logfile from meeting 2022-09-01








prepare Agenda and Minutes for the next meeting


Software meeting

every 2 month



accounts, contact with treasurer

Brain/CAcertInc/Committee/MeetingAgendasAndMinutes/2022-09-01 (last edited 2022-09-01 21:30:20 by EtienneRuedin)