- Case Number: a20090224.1
- Status: closed
- Claimants: CAcert represented by Alejandro Mery (support at cacert dot org)
- Respondents: Stefan Kooman (kooman at nieuwland dot nl)
- Issue: background check before addition to critical systems team
The issue at hand is to do a background check on Stefan Kooman, before he can join the critical systems team, which he has volunteered to do. There is NO WRONG DOING ALLEGED. This is a standard procedure to determine the suitability of a candidate to be given access to critical and sensitive systems.
- Case Manager: Guillaume Romagny
- Arbitrator: Lambert Hofstra
- Date of arbitration: 2009/05/14
Before: Arbitrator name : Lambert Hofstra (A). Respondent: Stefan Kooman (R) Claimant: CAcert represented by Alejandro Mery (C) Case: a20090224.1
- A: Please assign a Case-Manager from the arbitrators pool
- -: Guillaume Romagny has volunteered to be Case Manager
- A: Case Manager, since Stefan has not responded yet, can you please attempt to make contact again?
- C 20090501 : mail sent to Stephan Kooman as a reminder (guillaume romagny)
- C 20090501 : reply from Stephan Kooman to accept the arbitration
- C 20090506 : replacement of Arbitrator from Philipp Dunkel to Lambert Hostra (accepted)
- C 20090506 : replacement of claimant representative for CAcert Alejandro Mery (accepted)
- C 20090506 : The case manager requests the Arbitrator to consider how critical is the position opened (Stephen is proposed to become a member of the critical system team), so to figure out how many interviewers are needed.
- A 20090506 : Lambert Hostra (A) proposes Teus Hagen as interviewer (comment from CM : anyone else ?)
- A 20090507 : Teus Hagen will do the interview with Stephan Kooman
- A 20090507 : Teus interviewed Stephan during a face-to-face meeting, and will report his findings back to CM/A/R and board
- A 20090510 : Teus and A conducted a face-to-face meeting to discuss the interview
- A 20090511 : Teus sent initial summary of the interview to A
- A 20090514 : I have read the report, and discussed it with the interviewer.
Arbitrator "Ruling: I accept the nomination"
- CM 20090515 : case closed
Proposed process for background check (addition to the security manual): - The Arbitrator must appoints 1 or more people to procede to the background check. The number is depending on the criticity of CAcert position opened. The Arbitrator should appoint CAcert association members, CAcert officers or CAcert critical system members to conduct the interviews and collect the pieces of informations about the person checked. If really needed, the arbitrator can be one of the interviewers. - The interviewers should agree on a method to process the checking. - The appointed interviewers do the background check and keep private the collected pieces of information - The interviewers must report to the Arbitrator & Case manager - The Arbitrator rules on the reports provided (Accept, Refuse or Defer the nomination) and ack the CAcert Board about the decision. In case of split, the Arbitrator may need to appoint another interviewer to improve the checking - The case manager is independant from interviewers and report the CAcert board about the fairness of the arbitration / interviews - The CAcert Board can veto the Arbitrator ruling as a last resort TODO : update http://wiki.cacert.org/wiki/SecurityManual#BackgroundCheckProcedures and / or https://svn.cacert.org/CAcert/Arbitration/BackgroundCheckProcedure.html