NOTA BENE - WORK IN PROGRESS - Your Inputs & Thoughts
CAcert Inc. Association
CAcert Inc. is an incorporated non-profit association registered with New South Wales (NSW), Australia. - It was incorporated by 24 July 2003, with the full association name CAcert Incorporated under the Incorporation No INC9880170. We have a DUNS number 75-605-6102.
General Meetings of the Association
- Every General Meeting, regardless if AGM or SGM, need to have at least five attending members.
Voting: You need to have paid up your fees in order to be able to vote. A proxy vote can be done via appointing a proxy for your vote. See here: Association/Voting for more information.
Annual General Meetings of the association are (should be) called yearly. Here is a draft and proposed agenda for the next AGM. Anyone can suggested items to be discussed, but only members have a say.
See Special General Meetings for non-regular events.
History of General Meetings
- CAcert Inc. Association General Meetings (agenda, details and minutes) in the past:
AGM/Next FY 2019/2020
AGM 10th November 2020 FY 2019/2020
AGM 30th November 2019 FY 2018/2019
AGM 19th October 2018 FY 2017/2018
AGM 16th December 2017 FY 2016/2017
AGM 18th December 2016 FY 2015/2016
AGM 22th Novembre 2015 FY 2014/2015
AGM 27th Septembre 2015 Postponed AGM FY 2014/2015
AGM 20th July 2014 FY 2013/2014
AGM 17th Novembre 2013 FY 2012/2013
AGM 25th Novembre 2012 FY 2011/2012
AGM 27th Novembre 2011 FY 2010/2011
AGM 27th Octobre 2011 FY 2009/2010
SGM 8th May 2011 work-in-progress
SGM 3rd April 2011 work-in-progress
AGM 30th January 2010 FY 2008/2009
AGM Novembre 2008 FY 2007/2007
AGM Novembre 2007 FY 2006/2007
See also the Board's meetings
CAcert Inc. Committee (Board of Directors) (Current)
This page is the index for the CAcert Board of Directors. Contact the committee by e-mail: <cacert-board AT lists DOT SPAMFREEFOREVER cacert DOT org>
(please check here for the Historical Record of Committees past)
The current members of the committee of the Association (commonly called the board) can be looked up on this page.
The previous weblink the main website now redirects to the current page
CAcert Inc. Committee (AGM 2020-11-07 and Committee meeting 2021-05-06)
Constituental meeting on December, 10th 2020.
Committee meeting on May, 6th 2021.
Profile / Nickname
Notes, including Conflicts of Interest
Replaced by Michael Richardson (CND) on 2021-05-06 *
by the committee on 2021-05-06 *
CAcert Inc. Subcommittees (Board Meeting 2016-04-16)
Profile / Nickname
Including grants and fund raising
Profile / Nickname
Profile / Nickname
The Public Officer was the Association representative and official signatory to the Office of Fair Trading.
Profile / Nickname
appointed m20170331.3 12.10.2018
This positions is no more needed with the statutes from 07-11-2020 (headquarters outside NSW).
Older records move to Committee Historical
All current members of the Committee are Association Members. The Committee is responsible for the management of CAcert Inc. The Committee does not employ a secretariat so is responsible for both CAcert Inc. policy and its administration. Board business can be found at Committee (Board of Directors).
Terms: Association Members are part of the Association
- Note: Do not mix up terms:
Association Member means a member of the Association CAcert Inc., and is what is discussed on this page.
Member means a person registered at the CAcert.org website as part of the community. (Community) Members are not discussed on this page.
According to the policy decision p20080106.1 the term member now belongs to the community. This is because it significantly eases understanding in the community itself.
What can an Association Member do?
An Association Member is able to nominate or to be nominated to serve on the board (Committee) of CAcert Inc. An Association Member can vote at AGMs and SGMs on any motion that the board puts to the association membership or any resolution brought forward by an association member.
How to become an Association Member
- There are several formats available for completing form fields and handling via email in digital format. Have the digital form (or the emails) signed with CAcert certificates:
A step by step guide for becoming an Association Member can be found here.
- To become a full member of CAcert Inc Association (once again, this is different from being a registered member of the community of CAcert) you have to be
- nominated by a current CAcert Inc Association Member,
- seconded by another current CAcert Inc Association Member,
- accepted by the board (as per the rules), and
- pay an annual membership fee.
- First step then is to try to find an Association Member who will nominate you, and another to second the nomination. E.g. via a request to one of the CAcert email lists. When you find two association members tell them why you want to join and what you plan to contribute. Once nominated (the nominators will send a signed nomination form to the association members and CAcert board), the treasurer will notify you when you have to pay the annual membership fee in order to be a full member of the association with all rights and responsibilities as described in the official Association Rules.
- The easy way is to print off the Association Membership application form, complete it, scan it and send it of for nomination via a (CAcert cert) signed email.The other is to complete the digital forms, and sign it with a CAcert certificate.
All Association Members must be on the membership email list. This list is for notices to Association Members *ONLY*, not for general discussions. This list allows the board to notify Association Members of any motions needing a majority vote to make changes, or for any AGMs or SGMs.
Annual Membership Fee
If you are located outside of Australia you can pay your yearly membership fee by going to the membership fee page. The upper PayPal button on this page is a subscription button which will charge your PayPal account automatically every year, the lower button is for a single payment. If you pay from your Australian bank account please use a direct money transfer to: CAcert Inc, BSB: 032073, Account No.: 180264 and inform the Secretary of CAcert Inc.
- The current membership fee is 10€ per calendar year.
- The membership fee is due before the until the 30th June of each calendar year. Usually you will receive a reminder before the due date if you haven't paid yet.
- If you fail to pay your membership fees for two years you are not entitled to vote at the CAcert Inc. general meetings (Rule 33(5)), and three years of unpaid membership fees lead to cessation of membership (Rule 4(d)). So make sure that you pay your fees.
- Your membership can be resigned by sending a signed email to the Secretary of CAcert Inc.
Membership Announcements and Discussions
CAcert has a wiki for information about CAcert services and certificates.
It has a special place for CAcert Inc. and Membership information.
It also provides info about the next General Meeting.
- Nominations for board function for elections will be notified on the wiki as well.
- This information is a wiki and so is not the formal CAcert Association membership information. No one is responsible for the contents of these wiki pages, but you may find information there which is meant as information exchange between Association Members.
- Email lists:
There is a member announcements and discussion email list: < email@example.com > . If you are an association member you should have been added to this email list. Meeting notifications and notification of resolutions and nominations for board elections will be sent on to this list. If you are not receiving email via this list and you believe yourself to be a member, please contact the board or support as soon as possible. This list is can also be used for discussions between association members.
A moderated list for sending (signed) emails to the CAcert Committee (board): < firstname.lastname@example.org >.
Association Rules and Law
The Association conducts according to the Act and the Rules. The Act controls many things about the Rules, so typically, for a fuller understanding, we have to read them both together.
CAcert Association is a closed association
- you can only become an Association Member via nomination and acceptance from the board (called Committee).
- Association Members should not be involved with other Certificate Authorities.
The liability is limited to the (unpaid) yearly fee (10 US$).
- CAcert must hold and Annual General Meeting, generally around December - February every year.
- The Committee (Board) has a maximum of 7 positions.
- 4 with a clear function: president, Treasurer, Secretary and Vice-President.
- 3 members with no extra role.
- 3 board members needs to be present at meeting in order to decide.
- There may be sub-committees installed by the board.
- We use the term Committee (from the Act) and Board (easier to understand) interchangeably.
- The Public Officer is the direct contact to the Director-General of Affairs (Australian Trade Office).
- The Public Officer must be resident in NSW.
- The PO must file a yearly report the Director-General of the OFT.
- The association is not permitted to provide own (money) gain for the association members (really non-profit for association members).
- The Committee needs to hold meetings.
See Minutes for all records of meetings.
- Notices, decisions and resolutions can be done with email (signed, or CARS).
5% of members can form and petition the board for an Special General Meeting (SGM).
- at current numbers, that is about 3 or 4 members.
Notes on the 1984 Associations Act. However these are superceded by the 2009 Associations Act now in effect.
The Association is incorporated under a modified version of the model rules published by the NSW government under the 1984 Associations Incorporations Act. You can find the official copy of the CAcert Inc. association by-laws on the SVN repository. Current version is Jan-2010.
These rules define the association operations, annual membership fee, liability of association members, elections, AGM, etc. In Appendix 1 you will find the membership application form. Appendix 2 has a form with which you are able to get a proxy for voting on your behalf at any formal meetings, such as the AGM, or any SGMs.
- This new Act was signed in late 2010 and was in effect from then. It therefore replaced the old 1984 Act. This also imposes new requirements over the Rules. However, there is a changeover regime that effects the Rules: While the Rules remain unchanged, they are deemed to be "in compliance" which means the Rules are interpreted in any dispute so as to comply with the Act. When the next change of Rules occurs, the entire Rules must be re-drafted to be in compliance, in the words. (If not, the Rules will be rejected by the regulator.)
See Notes on the 1984 Act to see the historical context.
Regulator -- Office of Fair Trading
The Act is implemented by the NSW Office of Fair Trading (OFT). For the current forms and legislation, look to the Office of Fair Trading: NSW Business Services which is the regulator of Associations, under the Act.
Copy of Certificate of Incorporation of CAcert
Proposal for an Association Move
Inputs & Thoughts
There is a link in this document with the text "association rules". It is a link to an attachment named "CAcert_Rules2008.pdf". That attachment appears to be missing. At first I thought it was just unavailable when I realized I had not yet signed in to my Wiki account. But after signing in, I still get a form asking me to upload the missing attachment. I'm not sure who might fix this. I did not want to presume to disable the link since it appears to be broken. I hope this is the proper way for me to input feedback on this page.
- Current revision of CAcert Inc rules you'll find under
https://svn.cacert.org/CAcert/CAcert_Inc/ and related subdirectories.
- as the CAcert Inc rules do undergo a continuous upgrade, its a bad idea to attach one revision in the wiki. The next time the document will undergo an upgrade, this link will remain again in an inconsistency state and will not be updated (data inconsistency caused by unknown sources). So its better to set a link to the directory tree, where one may find the named dokument.
Text / Your Statements, thoughts and e-mail snippets, Please