česky | english
Accessing PKI Hardware in Firefox/Thunderbird on Ubuntu/Debian
What you will need
apt-get install mozilla-opensc libopensc1
How to tell Firefox/Thunderbird about OpenSC
It's quite easy to tell Firefox/Thunderbird that you have hardware PKI devices attached, the directions are the same for both programs the directions below are acurate as of Firefox version 1.0.4.
- You need to go into preferences
- Click on Advanced
- Open the tab with the plus next to certificates if needed
- Click on "Manage Security Devices"
- Click on the "load" button in the device manager
- I changed the module name to "OpenSC Module"
- The module filename is "/usr/lib/pkcs11/opensc-pkcs11.so"
After you click ok a few times and you should now have a useable PKI key pair on a working crypto device which you can use to decrypt/encrypt/sign emails and authenticate against websites. In future we'll be attempting to come up with ways to make this easier for people.